Jaisalmer, the Golden City, is one of the best places to witness the rustic lifestyle of Rajasthan. Situated at the edge of the Thar Desert, Jaisalmer fascinates the tourists.
Tourists can enjoy a plethora of activities at this city, out of which the following 7 are a must.
1. Boost Your Adrenaline With Adventure Sports
Jaisalmer is different from other historic tourist destinations as it offers lot of fun filled activities.
- No, you need not visit the Gulf countries to enjoy dune bashing; this exciting sport of the desert is now at Thar. The Sam Sand Dunes charms the adventure lovers with off-roading and dune bashing.
- Camel safari is a must do activity at Jaisalmer. The camels are decked up and as you explore the desert on these humped animals, the desert life slowly and gradually unravels.
- Soar high in the sky with paragliding and parasailing at the runways and strips of Jaisalmer.
- Enjoy a hot air balloon ride over the Thar Desert hope the setting sun paints the sky with sublime colours.
- Para motoring enable tourists to fly high with desert birds and absorb the pleasant breeze, flying high in the sky.
2. Shop Your Heart Out
The local markets of Jaisalmer attracts tourists with its vibrant coloured goods, hustle and bustle.
- Sonaron ka Baas deals in gold and silver jewellery which come in exquisite designs, as adorned by Rajput kings and queens.
- Sardar Bazaar sells ancient paintings, handicrafts and finely carved wooden boxes.
- Pansari Bazaar is the oldest market of the city and specialises in selling dyed boutique apparels.
3. Feel Romantic
The silence of Thar and the exquisite beauty is the ideal spot to enjoy romanticism.
- Mehar Adventure Safari camp blends the modern amenities with the classic lifestyle of Rajasthan. The tents are crafted in Swiss style and a magical environment is created by bin fire, melodies of sarangi, local songs and women dancing to this desi beat.
- Witness the spell ending beauty of nature as the sun sets at the desert at the Rajputana Desert Camp. Guests are welcomes with aarti and tikas, giving a true Rajasthani vibe to their stay.
- Spend a night under the starlit night at the luxury tent of Sam Sand Dunes. Relish authentic Rajasthani cuisines along with non-alcoholic beverages.
4. Visit Places
Jaisalmer has several tourist hotspots which are both of National important and are heritage .
- Indo-Pak border where you find the Indian troops protecting the country on one side and the Pakistani troops on the other side.
- The Jaisalmer Fort which still thrives with life due to almost 3000 people residing within it. With narrow lanes, cluttered houses and small eateries; the fort is an exact reflection of the true lifestyle of Rajasthan.
- The crystalline waters of Gadisar Lake with the reflection of Chattris, shrines, temples and ghats creates a pleasant ambiance to sit and relax. As the lake is adjacent to the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary, you can even watch numerous birds flying around the waters.
Must Read : Pushkar Camel fair 2019 - Complete Guide
5. Embrace Spirituality
The serene environment of Jaisalmer is maintained by the ancient temples of the city.
- The Jain Temples of Jaisalmer at the heart of the Jaisalmer Fort date back to the 12th and 15th century. This group of 7 shrines are made from yellow sandstone and reflect Dilwara style of architecture.
- Laxminath Temple was built in 1494 and is nestled at the top of a hill. Besides offering an enthralling view of the surroundings and showcasing some of the rich paintings and statues, the silver framework of the facade is also worth mentioning.
- Lodurva Temple is another Jain structure which comes with beautiful arches and lies in close proximity to the Hindu temples of Hinglaj Mata, Chamunda Mata and Lord Shiva.
6. Witness the Life of Affluent Traders
Jaisalmer is just not a city of Maharajas but also of influential traders.
- Nathmalji ka Haveli is a grand example of the lavish lifestyle of the erstwhile traders of Rajasthan who used to carry on their trade through the silk route. This building is a combination of Hindu and Islamic architecture with life size elephant statues guarding the entrance.
- Patwon ki Haveli is an architectural wonder with magical golden hue. The Haveli is an epitome of Rajasthani architecture with sparkling mirror work and beautiful wall paintings adorning its walls.
7. Capture the Moments
Jaisalmer is a photographer's paradise as it is a land of multiple colours.
- Capture the Jaisalmer Fort in your camera as the midday sun reaches its top, the fort looks like made from gold at this time.
- Photograph the colourful bazaars of Jaisalmer, where the no colour in the pallet is missed by the artisans in their goods.
- The mysterious desert changes its colour with every phase of the day and fascinates the photographers with its unique chemistry with the sky and the sun.
Besides these activities, do not forget to spend some time with the locals. There are villages located at the border of the desert, visit these rural places to chitchat with people and know interesting local facts while men in large turban pass by other camels and ladies cladded in large ghagras and bangles amaze carrying multiple pots of water on their heads. Jaisalmer is the famous tourist destination in India. Experience the rich culture and heritage of India through Palace on Wheels train.
Complete Information about Palace on Wheels
Other Luxury Trains covers fascinating destinations of Rajasthan
You may also read related articles:
You May Also Know About Popular Luxury Trains on India:-