How To Make Train Reservation In Indian Railways?
What is Train Ticket Reservation/Booking?
Train ticket booking is a confirmation that you have booked a particular berth in the selected class of train until you reach your destination. Tickets can be booked in various ways, through railway station ticket counters, online booking, Paytm etc.
How to Make a Reservation in Indian Railways
Travellers need a reservation in Indian railways on all classes except general class. If you are travelling in general class you just need to buy the tickets.
Here are the ways to make a reservation in Indian Railways.
1. Online Reservation
There are some travel portals through which you can easily book your tickets or make the reservation nowadays. Such as Cleartrip.com etc. Other than these portals there are few sites of Indian railway which you can find useful. Like, irctc.co.in, indianrail.gov.in , india.gov.in etc.
- Log in to a website or an online portal
- Select the source and the destination station
- Select a train
- Check ticket availability
- Fill passenger details
- Now if you are done then the next step is the payment.
- They are some details you need to give relating to your payment. You may need some ID proofs during filling up the details.
When you are finished with the booking, an email and a message will be to the registered mobile number with the required details.
2. Reservation Through Indian Railways Booking Counter/Office
Generally, there are some options which you may not find while online booking but you can find them if you come to book the tickets or for reservation in person. Like senior citizens, ladies quota some others. Some steps to book a ticket through tickets counter
- You must go to the nearest railway station and request for the reservation form.
- Fill the passenger’s details, (Like: Train No. & Name, Date of Journey, Class, No. of berth/seat, station from and to, passengers name, age, gender, berth preference etc.)
- If you are done with that now you can go back to the counter for payment.
- Now you can get your tickets and each ticket will have a 10 digit unique PNR number.
Indian Railway Administration provides reservation if berths, seats, compartment. Travellers need to buy the tickets from the railway reservation office or authorized travel agency. They can reserve upto 120 days advance, in case passengers have any doubt about the availability of seats. A person can book tickets for a maximum of six passengers.
The 10 digit PNR number you receive when your booking is finished, is very important. Because during the journey if you fail to provide the number, you will be treated as travelling without ticket and can be charged.
Reservation fees according to the category of train:
|AC first||Rs. 60|
|AC 2 Tier||Rs. 50|
|IST (mail/express)||Rs. 50|
|AC-3 Tier||Rs. 40|
|AC chair car||Rs. 40|
|Sleeper (mail/express)||Rs. 20|
|Second sitting (mail/express)||Rs. 15|
|Sleeper (ordinary)||Rs. 20|
|Second sitting (ordinary)||Rs. 15|
Also Read : Travelling in Train – 10 Reasons Why We Love It
3. Reservation Through Main Site of Indian Railway
IRCTC or Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (www.irctc.co.in) is the main site of Indian Railway. There is also an application is there named IRCTC to make your journey easier.
Service charge minimum of Rs. 20 will be charged for the second or sleeper class from 12:20 AM to 1:45 PM. This is the main site if Indian Railway. Here you can find every category from Tatkal, Child tickets, senior citizens to tickets for persons with disabilities. You can find senior citizen tickets at a concessional rate.
Also Read : History of Indian Railways – 1853 to 2018
Key things to know about IRCTC
- An account will be verified through Adhar card
- Maximum six tickets can be booked by an individual in a month
- Passenger must carry the e-reservation slip. Otherwise Rs. 50 will be imposed by the ticket checking staff.
Also Read : 20 Interesting Facts About Indian Railways
How to book a ticket from IRCTC?
- Register your name
- Login with username and password
- Click the option “Plan my travel”
- Select source and destination station along with the journey date
- Selec the e-ticket option and click on “Submit”.
- Now you can choose a train.
- Select a class under the train list. Then they will show the fare according to the class.
- Now select a train.
- Now click on “Book Now”.
- Ticket reservation page will appear now.
- Fill the details.
- Now ticket details will appear along with the payment option.
- Select the drop-down button beside the “select bank” box after entering the payment methods.
- After finishing your payment method by clicking on the “Make payment” button, print the reservation slip.
Some Luxury Trains Offered by Indian Railways :
1. Maharajas’ Express: Maharajas’ Express is one of the most expensive and luxurious train in the world which owned and operated by Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation. It covers destinations like Delhi, Ranthambore, Agra, Jaipur, Bikaner, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Varanasi, Khajuraho etc. Maharajas’ Express offers the best rail journey with all kind of royal amenities including delicious cuisine and beverages. The fare starts from 2,07,250/-.
Must read : How to Book Maharajas’ Express Train?
2. Palace on Wheels : This is the most royal and luxurious train in India, launched by the Indian Railways in association with Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation. It provides world-class facilities and services which will provide you with a lifetime experience. The fare starts from Rs 51,900/- per person per night.
Also Read : How To Book Palace On Wheels Train Ticket?
3. Deccan Odyssey: Deccan Odyssey is is the Asia’s Leading luxury train to boost the tourism of Maharashtra route. The train run by the joint collaboration between Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) and Indian Railways. Luxurious accommodation, world-class dining, lovely cultural performances will entertain you and will take care of you. The fare starts from 4,71,380/-.
Must Read : What is Deccan Odyssey Train?
Read More About Luxury Train :
- A Complete Comparison of the Famous Luxury Trains in India
- 10 Interesting Tips for Booking Luxury Trains in India
Documents or ID Cards are Required for Train Ticket Booking
- Adhar card
- Voter ID card
- Driving license
- Pan card
- Student ID
- Bank passbook with photographs
- Credit/Debit card
- Photo ID cards
You will need the ID proofs during filling up the details. And photocopies are a must. You should keep a few scanned passport size photos.