Best Trains from Delhi to Mumbai
Planning on a savvy train trip from Delhi to Mumbai? We’ve got you covered. By traveling through trains, you can not only enjoy your trip to the fullest, but you can also save a lot of money and arrive at your destination overnight in just 16 hours.
Delhi and Mumbai have a total distance of about 1,384 kms between them and they have got trains running all the time. There are about 4-5 trains running from Delhi to Mumbai and sometimes, the count rises up to 10. Trains make your journey of traveling from one place to another easy. Let’s find out about the best trains that run from Delhi to Mumbai.
Must about running trains from Delhi:
But there are a few things you should know before going further :
- Delhi has a central railway station that goes by the name New Delhi Railway Station (NDLS) nearby Paharganj.
- You can also check in for trains to Mumbai from the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station (NZM). This station is just 20 minutes away from the New Delhi Railway Station.
- Mumbai has a central railway station that goes by the name Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (earlier known as Victoria Terminus). It’s located in the Fort area of South Mumbai. The code is IST and there are several trains that terminate at Mumbai Central (BCT) from New Delhi. A few trains also terminate at the Bandra Terminus which is located in the western environs.
- If you wish to book a ticket under the Foreign Tourist Quota, you have to book it in person at the International Tourist Bureau at the New Delhi Railway Station. You can find the office in the main building. It’s opened for 24 hours.
- Be aware of scammers telling you that the International Tourist Bureau is closed or they have moved their office from the building. Do not trust them. There are scams everywhere, so it’s better to stay clear of them.
- The ticket prices for semi-luxurious trains such as the Rajdhani or Duronto Express are based on active prices and they differ according to their demands. They may equal to airfares sometime and might be as lower as any common train. It’s recommended to check and compare before finally booking your tickets.
Must Read : 10 Reasons Why We Love to travel in Train
Now it’s time to check out the best trains from New Delhi to Mumbai :
1. 12952 New Delhi-Mumbai Central Rajdhani Express
The train runs from the New Delhi Railway Station at 4.25 pm in the evening at reaches Mumbai Central at 8.15 am in the morning. It runs overnight and there are minimal stops on the way for this train. The total number of stops is just 6. The fare is divided into 3 tiers. The ticket price for 1AC is 4,760 rupees per head. The 1AC is first sleeper class and fully air-conditioned. Then comes 2A which is a two-tier, fully air-conditioned sleeper coach. The ticket fare is 2,830 rupees minimum and 4,073 rupees maximum per head. The last tier is the 3A which is also a sleeper coach and fully air-conditioned.
However, 3A is relatively cheaper than the other two tiers. The ticket price for 3A is 2,070 rupees minimum and 2,753 rupees maximum. The train provides its commuters with facilities like pillows, blankets, hand towels, and meals.
Rajdhani Express runs on a daily basis and it’s widely known for its cleanliness and punctuality. The tickets are mostly available all the time as there is no hustle-bustle here. Foreign Tourist Quota also gets a fair number. Generally, it reaches its destination on time.
However, there have been some instances where it reaches a few minutes behind its schedule.
2. 12954 August Kranti Rajdhani Express
The first-class August Kranti Rajdhani Express runs from Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway station and reaches the Mumbai Central station in no time. The train is also known as the Aranthata Kranti Rajdhani Express. The train derived its name from the August Kranti Maidan. This place is known to be the origin of the Quit India Movement in 1942.
The inaugural tour of this train was done on 1st January 1992. It starts from H. Nizamuddin at 04:50 pm and reaches Mumbai Central at 09:45 am. The train has a total of 20 coaches, including two coaches for luggage and generator, five coaches for AC 2 Tier, eleven coaches for AC 3 tier, one first-class AC car, and a pantry van. The train offers a special tourist quota as well. There is no fare difference as the other Rajdhani trains.
But the August Kranti Rajdhani halts at 12 different stations and apparently takes a little more time to reach Mumbai than usual. However, it’s a highly punctual train. The ticket has to be booked in advance for the journey.
Booking for this train starts 120 days in advance. You can book your ticket and make reservations online as well. The passengers can avail facilities like meals, blankets, pillows, etc.
Read More About Mumbai
- Things to Do in Mumbai That Makes Summer Exciting
- 10 Best Resorts Near Mumbai For A Quick Weekend Getaway
3. 22210 New Delhi-Mumbai Central AC Duronto Express
The New Delhi-Mumbai Central Duronto Express is also known as the New Delhi AC Duronto Express. It’s a fully air-conditioned train that runs between New Delhi and Mumbai. It halts at only 4-5 stations for a short time. It didn’t use to make any commercial halts earlier.
But the train makes commercial halts at Vadodara, Ratlam and in Kota. The train that originates from Mumbai is Mumbai-New Delhi Duronto Express with train number 22209. Duronto expresses are known to travel faster than Rajdhani expresses.
However, there is no frequency in their running and the timetables aren’t very handy as well. The train departs from New Delhi railway station at 11:25 pm on Tuesday and Saturday. It arrives at Mumbai Central at 04:14 pm the next day. The train is relatively faster than Rajdhani express. Tickets can be booked both offline and online. The fair is almost the same as Rajdhani expresses. The train provides facilities like fresh meals, blankets, pillows, clean coaches, etc. There is a foreign tourist quota available too.
4. 09004 Hazrat Nizamuddin – Bandra Terminus Rajdhani Special
The all-new Rajdhani Express that runs from Hazrat Nizamuddin to Bandra Terminus is the fastest train from Delhi to Mumbai. It originates from Hazrat Nizamuddin railway station on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday at a fixed time, i.e., 4:15 pm and arrives at the Bandra Terminus in Mumbai at 6:10 pm the next day. It takes a time span of 14 hours for the journey with three stops on its way.
Though faster than any other train, this train does not run on a frequent basis throughout the year. It started in mid-2017 because of an increase in the crowd. The ticket price is apparently higher than other Rajdhani Trains.
Must Read : Different Types of Trains in India
The ticket prices are- First AC (fully air-conditioned sleeper coach) is 5,445 rupees, 2AC (two tiers, air-conditioned sleeper coach) is minimum 3,230 rupees and maximum 4,698 rupees, and the 3A (three tiers, fully air-conditioned sleeper coach) is minimum 2,300 rupees and maximum 3,106 rupees.
The train provides facilities like meals, fresh towels, blankets, etc. The cleanliness in the coaches is up to the mark and there is no hassle for ticket availability as well. The train is punctual as the others.
Apart from these regular trains, there are two special luxury trains that travel from New Delhi to Mumbai. The sole purpose of these trains is to promote tourism in India and Maharashtra happens to one of the most valuable tourist spots in India.
Thus, these trains originate from New Delhi and traverse straight to Mumbai, along with traveling to a few other tourist destinations that are included in the itinerary.
Today, in the era of super-fast trains, let’s explore the most luxurious trains in India that run from Delhi to Mumbai or Vice Varsa, allowing you to travel like a royalty. The journey of these trains offers unparalleled comfort onboard, allowing visitors to explore India’s most popular destinations within a week.
Also Read : Best Train from Mumbai to Goa
5. Deccan Odyssey Train
Widely known as “India’s Blue Train”, the Deccan Odyssey Train is a joint association between the Maharashtrian Government and Indian Railways. The train is managed by the Taj group.
Check Here : Deccan Odyssey Tickets Price
The government maintains the train’s charm as a luxurious resort on wheels by providing several amenities to the guests. They serve international to national cuisine prepared by several expert chefs. Their other facilities include fully air-conditioned cabins, royal dining cars, bars, lounges, presidential suites including a living room, bedroom, and attached washrooms.
Read Here : Deccan Odyssey Coaches
The train travels from New Delhi to Mumbai under the Indian Odyssey where it originates from New Delhi and travels through Sawai Madhopur, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur, Vadodara, Ajanta and Ellora Caves, and then Mumbai. The train further goes on a royal expedition from Mumbai to other tourist places. It eventually arrives back to Mumbai and then reaches Delhi.
Must Read : Deccan Odyssey Route map and Direction
Do you want to know more, click the link
Read more article
- Top 10 Reasons To Choose Deccan Odyssey To Explore Maharashtra And Rajasthan
- Top 10 World Heritage Sites to Visit with Deccan Odyssey
6. Maharajas’ Express
As it goes by the name; the Maharajas’ Express is truly the king of all the luxurious trains in India. It’s voted as the “World’s Leading Luxury Train” for the seventh time in a row. It’s India’s answer to the Orient Express of the West. The train comprises of luxurious cabins that travel through the most royal and exotic destinations in India.
Check here : Maharajas Express Tickets fare
The train lets you experience the tours of
- 7 days 6 nights Heritage of India : Mumbai to Delhi Route
- 7 days 6 nights Indian Panorama : Delhi to Delhi Route
- 7 days 6 nights Indian Splendor : Delhi to Mumbai Route
- 4 days 3 nights Treasures of India : Delhi to Delhi Route
Read in Details about Maharajas Express Route Map and Directions
The train travels through New Delhi and visits every destination on the itinerary like Jaipur, Sawai Madhopur, Agra, Vadodara, Udaipur, Jodhpur, etc. It then reaches Mumbai and carries on its journey further.
Must Read : How to Book Maharajas Express Train ?
Do you want to know more, click the link
- Maharajas Express Information
- Maharajas Express Facilities
- Maharajas Express Awards
- Maharajas Express Cabins
- Maharajas Express History
For booking, please select departure dates of Maharajas Express.
Read More Article :